Friday, December 13, 2013

2014 Goals

I spent the fall not writing--or rather, freelancing, writing for hire. Over the last couple weeks, I shifted gears and started writing screenplays with my writing partner. I've been going back and forth about what the next step will be for me, job-wise. So these goals might shift or be pushed back.

I learned something, not writing. I need to write. Creatively, I mean. Writing for hire doesn't cut it.

Writing Goals

Fiction:
I have two novel drafts I'd like to finish:
Jubal's Daughter
Untitled rice farming novel

I'll also probably write another Necro-Files book soon.

Other than that, considering that I've written either a novel or linked short story collection basically every other month for the last 3 years or so, I think I'm okay taking a break from novels for a bit.

I'd also like to put together a short story collection of my weirder stories and place it. I'd also like to write a few new stories.

Poetry
I'd like to place another collection, tentatively titled Driving Around, Looking in Other People's Windows
I'd also like to write some new poems. I'm kicking around a sort of sequel to Riceland.

Screenplays
I've got around 20 screenplays in various stages of completion, from outline to partial drafts. I'd like to either finish them or declare them dead. I imagine I might be able to salvage half. Maybe my partner can salvage some of the others.

So those are my writing goals. In a larger sense, I'm focusing on marketing and really trying to get my work out there.

Personal Goals

I'd like to lose 50 pounds. I lost 20 over the last few months. I'd like to double down.

Family Goals

I'd like to get my daughter into a Montessori program.

That's it, for now. I've got a couple weeks to think about this.

No comments: