Friday, December 04, 2009

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I'm a little deflated right now because I haven't been nominated for a Pushcart this year. I've been nominated 3 or 4 times in the past, but not this year. It feels as though I'm backsliding or something. As to whether I've published as much stuff this year, well, I'm not sure, actually, but looking back through these postings, I have to say I've had quite a few things published this year. Are they as strong as things I've written in the past? I'd have to say they are stronger. So what gives? Am I old hat? Am I just not keeping up with the kids? Fuck if I know. I was so surprised the first time I was nominated--it was for something pretty mundane, actually. Likewise, the pieces that were nominated last year were okay, but not my best work. Actually, one of them was pretty good. Maybe that's it. Maybe I'm not publishing enough mundane work. What a nice train of denial I've got going here. Who knows. I couldn't imagine actually winning. Still, it would've been nice to at least be invited to the party. But I think publishing it like that--none of it ever makes any real sense.

2 comments:

Glenn Buttkus said...

Again, you share from your gut and your heart for those of us who write, but have not really pushed
for publication. We all have our own excuses as to what and why
things happen or don't, but maybe
the committee for Pushcart has
changed, and you just slipped through the cracks. And if publishing doesn't make any sense,
in terms of what gets picked and
when, hell, awards really make
less sense. In the Arts, the best
creativity rarely is reinforced,
rather the popular view, or
the bandwagon response. But as
my lovely wife tells me a lot,
"Get over it." Usually works for me.

CLBledsoe said...

haha. Writers can be nominated for the Pushcart by any editor at any journal. Of course, to win you have to have gone to Iowa.